The "Fondaco Dei Tedeschi"
It can be seen form Rialto Bridge, walking down the staircase on the left on the way to "Campo San Bortolomio".
It is a massive building, quite different form the original one existing until year 1505 and burned down the same year, the project of the present palace is by a German Architect Girolamo Second name unknown.
The façade over the Grand Canal was painted by Giorgione and the façade the one on the Street calle "del fontego dei Tedeschi" (Germans) by Titian, all paintwork wore down and there are no trace left.
Painting by Tintoretto can be seen in the "Conviti hall" in the same room there are some quite precious "Quoridoro" (gold painted leather) with fairytales painted by Paolo Veronese. And then more painting of Jupiter, Juno and other divinities.
On XIII century the republic assigned the Fontego as an inn for Germans merchant, working also as a warehouse and a custom for their goods.
The fontego was surveyed by a magistracy composed with three Venetian nobles, their title was "Visdomini".
The Fontego ceased to be an trade institution right after the fall in 1979 of Venetian Republic. It becomes state property and lately destined to host the central offices of Italian mail in Venice. However, this activity is slowly reducing to zero.